History of AzPA Mentor Connection Program:
This program was first piloted in the AzPA Health-System Academy (HSA) as a “grass roots” effort to implement the idea of such a program and guide programmatic revisions prior to expanding throughout all AzPA Academies. The pilot program took place from January – July 2012 and consisted of 10 mentor-mentee pairs; 5 mentees each from The University of Arizona College of Pharmacy and Midwestern University College of Pharmacy – Glendale. The Expanded Pilot Program, which took place from October 2012 – July 2013, was managed by the AzPA Continuing Education Standing Committee and consisted of 14 mentors and 18 mentees from 3 Colleges of Pharmacy. To provide consistent structure and leadership of this program, the management and maintenance of the AzPA MCP is now housed under the Mentor Connection Program Standing Committee. In order to expand and encompass all AzPA Academies and represent all areas of pharmacy practice in Arizona, the Mentor Connection Program Standing Committee includes representation from each AzPA Academy. Since its inception, the AzPA MCP has enrolled over 200 participants and continues to provide the valuable resource of experience and mentorship with each new cycle. Additionally, the 2015-2016 cycle saw the first pairing of a Pharmacy Technician mentor with a mentee enrolled in a Pharmacy Technician Training program.
Mentor Connection Program Vision:
The AzPA Mentor Connection Program (MCP) was designed with the vision of building relationships, furthering professional networks, and strengthening continuous professional development on behalf of both student pharmacists/technicians (mentees) and practicing pharmacists/technicians (mentors) in Arizona. The scope of this program falls within the AzPA’s mission and vision and helps to achieve several of the AzPA’s strategic plan goals and objectives.
Mentor Connection Program Goals:
- Promote personal and professional development of pharmacy students/technicians beyond curricular goals
- Provide direction, foster confidence, and instill values needed to develop professionally
- Create an engaging environment that instills renewed enthusiasm within the profession
- Cultivate long-term relationships that evolve with time and are mutually beneficial
- Promote professional meeting attendance to support professional development
The AzPA Mentor Connection Program is designed to:
- Build relationships
- Further professional networks
- Strengthen continuous professional development on behalf of both mentors and mentees
- This 10-month long program (October - July cycle annually) pairs student pharmacists with practicing pharmacists. Note: Pharmacy technicians and residents can participate as mentors/mentees too!
- Download the Mentor Connection Handbook for more information about the program.
- If you are interested in participating in the 2016-2017 cycle fill out the online Mentor Connection Program Form today! Note: Member login will be required to redirect to the external webpage.